female health matters

Personal stories about female health matters.

August 11, 2007

weak bladder woes

With the kids off her hands, Danni is enjoying life with her handsome husband and because the world has a very negative image of menopausal women she is doing her best to disprove all those false and malicious stories about ageing women!

You would never take Danni to be a day over 40. She has the face and the figure of a much younger woman and she works very hard at keeping young.

All was going well in Danni's life until her age caught up with her one day. Or, more to the point, her bladder let her down.

"I'm a gym junkie," confesses Danni. "I spend an hour every day pumping iron and I attend an exercise class on Saturdays. I've always believed that if you don't use it you lose it, but some things you lose in any case."

She first noticed that something was wrong when she was doing star jumps with her exercise class one Saturday morning and felt a gush of urine escaping from her bladder. It seemed like a flood and she was terribly embarrassed but it was only a drop of urine that barely showed through her hot pink leotards but it was enough for her to stop exercising that day and start thinking about what was happening to her inner organs.

"The first thing I did was stop by the supermarket on the way home and buy some pads," says Danni. "It had been two years since I had last bought sanitary pads and I never thought I would have to bother with all that stuff again, but it looked very much like I was falling to pieces just like every other 50 plus woman I knew - despite my punishing exercise routine."

Scared out of her brains that urine will soon start flooding from her bladder uncontrolled, she bought the heaviest duty pads she could find on the shelves - and wondered whether any manufacturer had thought of internal pads, like Urinary Tampax.

"Alas, such a product does not exist," says Danni. "and probably never will."

From that day onwards Danni started wearing pads and checked out her pants just like she once did when she first started periods almost 40 years ago. Only this time around she wasn't looking for tell-tale red marks, she was looking for wet marks.

For someone who enjoyed wearing figure-hugging clothes, Danni was really annoyed by the pads. They showed through her clothes. Everyone could see that she was wearing pads and had an incontinence problem.

"I then started wearing voluminous skirts, baggy trousers and reluctantly packed away my hot pink gym tights as something I would never wear again." says Danni.

As the weeks passed by, Danni realized that none of the pads she had worn had any wetness on them at all. But she doggedly kept wearing the pads - just in case.

And then one day she decided to try panty-liners rather than pads, and felt a lot more comfortable doing so.

Gradually, Danni resumed her normal lifestyle and realized that the best way to control urinary leakage is not to drink a gallon a water and then do star jumps immediately afterwards!

In her book "You Can Heal Your Life", Louise Hay describes the real cause of incontinence as emotional overflow - years of controlling emotions and Danni concedes that maybe she was punishing her body because she couldn’t express her real feelings about growing old.

"Yes, I am concerned about growing old," confides Danni. "My husband is a good looking guy and I don't want to lose him to a younger woman. It happens every day and I don't ever want that sort of day to happen to me."

"I'll be a gym junkie for as long as my body can take it!"

(Dannis's story first appeared as danni: star jumping gym junkie and is reprinted with permission.)

Labels: , , , , , ,


Copyright 2006-2014 all rights reserved Female Health Matters