female health matters

Personal stories about female health matters.

April 27, 2010

breast cancer butchery

Rafaela, a single mom of 49, is one of many women who thought she was doing the right thing getting screened for breast cancer when she found a little lump. Now that it's officially accepted that breast cancer over-diagnosis results in unnecessary surgery, chemotherapy and/or radiotherapy for one in three women her gut feeling at the time – that she was bullied, lied to and butchered for a small cancer that could have regressed, remained dormant or grown so slowly that it was not worth worrying about in the first place – has been confirmed.

"When I was diagnosed with a small breast cancer six years ago I was not given the same sort of 'wait and see' approach that men get when they are diagnosed with prostate cancer," says Rafaela. "Instead, I was bullied unmercifully into having treatment I did not want, and in all likelihood did not need, by a whole team of white coats with faces to match."

"I was told I would die without treatment – and not just die, but die horribly in agonizing pain," sighs Rafaela. "Imagine the impact of that sort of blunt statement on a mother of young children. I was devastated, and I felt like slapping the face of the ghoulish doctor who delivered that soul-destroying statement to me, as if it was an undisputable fact and he was an all-knowing god.”

"My doctors must have known about the risks of over-diagnosis, but they doggedly asserted the worst case scenario and gave me no way out," says Rafaela. "In doing so, they blatantly lied to me and bullied me into being butchered – having one of my beautiful breasts surgically removed, as if it were a lump of lard without any purpose or significance."

"I had no history of breast cancer, or any cancer, in my family history," adds Rafaela. "I was not a high risk patient and the speed with which they bullied me into surgery after diagnosis was almost criminal, and why they had to remove my whole breast rather than remove the cancerous lump was probably criminal too.”

"I was given no time to do research, ask for a second opinion or just to reflect on my situation and follow my gut instinct," cries Rafaela. "It was diagnosis, biopsy, scans, tests and hospital within a week, and although they maintained that speed was essential to stop the cancer spreading, I now feel that this speed had more to do with denying me the time and space I needed to assert control over my own body."

"There's a whole breast cancer industry out there that preys on women like me," says Rafaela. "No doubt, most of the participants in this industry believe they are helping us, but at the time I had an awful feeling from the depth of my being that I was being bullied into something I didn't want or need and that they were monsters who either delighted in cutting off women's breasts or just wanted to line their pockets or gain medical research kudos at my expense."

"No doubt, too, many women with breast cancer have been 'saved' by being bullied, lied to and butchered in this fashion – if only for a maximum of five years which, to the industry, is considered a reasonable survival period," adds Rafaela, "but why should one in three women have to suffer unnecessarily from this one-size-fits-all approach to breast cancer?"

"For large tumors or invasive cancers by all means adopt an aggressive treatment regime if that's what the woman wants," cries Rafaela, "but for the rest of us, for pity’s sake, leave us alone, don’t bully and scare us, adopt the wait and see approach and get some sensitivity training."

"I went through the most soul-destroying and terrifying experience imaginable having breast cancer treatment, and to a lesser extent so did my kids and my mother (who moved in to take care of the kids for me, even though she had health problems of her own)," says Rafaela. "It still galls me today that in the 21st century nothing more gentle than butchery, poisoning and burning has been developed to deal with this cancer."

"That the industry masks this awful truth with pink ribbons - and a booklet euphemistically called a 'journey' - is something that really needs to be addressed," says Rafaela. "Nothing defines a woman more than a pair of breasts, and in bullying me into having a mastectomy they murdered my womanhood, destroyed my self-esteem and my sense of control over my own body. Nothing, least of all a silicon implant, can make me feel whole again.”

“OK, I’ve survived six years without a recurrence and I’m supposedly ‘cured’,” says Rafaela, “but there’s no evidence whatsoever to prove that the butchery, poisoning and burning they put me through had anything to do with it.”

“The point I’m making is that had I been given an option to wait and see, that is what I would have done, and I would have signed a legal waiver if being sued was their main worry – which I believe it probably was,” explains Rafaela. “If waiting and monitoring the lump led to the cancer growing then I would have agreed to aggressive treatment willingly and uncomplainingly as an active participant.”

“If anything, when I think of survival I think of surviving the torture they put me through, not the cancer,” sighs Rafaela, “and it makes my blood boil to realize that that my cancer could have regressed, remained dormant or grown so slowly that it was not worth worrying about – and I went through hell and back for no good reason other than the industry was hung up on following to the letter some ‘standard procedure’ devised by some misogynistic sadist.”

“My advice for women with a little lump in their breast is this: keep an eye on it and only seek medical advice if it grows bigger,” says Rafaela. “If you panic at the first sign of a little lump as I did (following scare campaigns by the industry to get it early) you will live to regret it – as I have.”

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,


Copyright 2006-2014 all rights reserved Female Health Matters