female health matters

Personal stories about female health matters.

December 20, 2008

beware teeth whitening!


Tahni, 26, has perfect teeth and gums and visited a dentist for the first time for cosmetic purposes -- teeth whitening. She was required to fill out a first patient's form which had a smoking question and, as result of being honest about her smoking habit, she was subjected to bullying, poor treatment and subsequent pain and suffering.

"I have perfect teeth, no fillings and no gum disease," says Tahni. "I just noticed that since starting a new job, working back late and drinking a lot more coffee than I normally do, that my teeth were yellowing a bit and no amount of brushing seemed to restore their whiteness."

"I knew it was coffee, not smoking, because everyone's coffee mug at work is stained black, as are all of the spoons," explains Tahni. "It's a bit of a joke around here about whose coffee mug is the blackest, meaning who's putting in more time on the job."

"I suppose I could have given up coffee, but I love the stuff," laughs Tahni, "so I decided instead to get a teeth whitening."

"I was surprised that I was required to fill out a first patient's form when all I wanted was a cosmetic procedure, like a hair dye, and I didn't like the smoking question, believing it was an invasion of my privacy and as silly as asking whether or not I drink coffee, " says Tahni, "but I did what was required of me like a good little girl."

"As I sat in the waiting room I could hear the dental drill buzzing in the background, it sounded scary, and I just wanted to get my teeth whitened and get out of there as fast as possible."

"The lady dentist who saw me immediately honed in on the smoking question on my first patient's form and started lecturing me on the evils of smoking," says Tahni. "I couldn't believe it!"

"After sitting there for a while, incredulously listening to this mad woman raving on about lung cancer and other stuff I got up to leave," says Tahni. "I told her I had come to see her for a tooth whitening procedure, not a lecture on smoking, and if she wasn't prepared to treat me then I'm outta here."

"She quickly shut up and got on with the job," says Tahni, "but she was so rough with me that I feared she was deliberately causing me pain."

"When I looked at the finished effect I wasn't happy -- my teeth didn't look very much whiter -- and she rudely shut me up by saying if I had a shade whiter I'd look ridiculous."

"Ten days after the whitening procedure my jaw joints and teeth are still sore," sighs Tahni. "I've spoken to others who've had their teeth whitened and they told me it was a painless procedure so I'm certain, now, that the dentist really did do something to hurt me."

"My jaws hurt from having them opened so wide during the procedure, my tongue is raw red, there are sore cracks on either side of my mouth where my lips meet and all of my teeth, strangely, suddenly feel sensitive to hot and cold things. It’s painful to eat or drink anything."

"Now I'm terrified that she put some acid or something on my teeth to deliberately rot them and I'm going to loose all of my beautiful teeth!"

"If I sound paranoid then put yourself in my situation and see how you feel," says Tahni. "I’m telling you, that woman was unhinged and may have lost track of whatever professional ethics she once had, if she ever had ethics to start off with. I don't know what to do -- see a doctor or a lawyer?"

"Looking back, I should have realized that the smoking question was there for an ulterior purpose -- and either lied or gone somewhere else; and, having admitted I smoked, I should have shut up and allowed the woman to lecture me. But had I done so, would she still have treated me badly?"

"I think she would have," concludes Tahni. "That dentist was on a mission to identify and destroy all smokers, and her enticing teeth whitening advertisements were clever traps to suck us all in to her surgery of horrors."

"Who knows, maybe she uses teeth whitening to cause dental problems in all new patients, smokers or not, and that’s how she keeps the money rolling in,” muses Tahni. “It’s a nasty way to do business, but when people put melamine in baby formula to make a quick buck you quickly lose faith in the integrity of others responsible for our health.”

“Dentists are business people just like the other guy, and now I understand why so many people are scared stiff of them -- maybe the profession attracts sadists?”

"Whatever, my advice to any smoker thinking of having their teeth whitened -- don't do it!"

"Why put yourself in a position where some fanatical anti-smoking sadistic dentist can inflict awful pain on you?"


Labels: , , , , , , , ,


Copyright 2006-2014 all rights reserved Female Health Matters