female health matters

Personal stories about female health matters.

May 31, 2010

the menopausal librarian


An experience with a librarian at a public library caused Verity to question why people employed in any public service capacity at taxpayer's expense are called 'servants' when their behavior is more often an affectation of royalty than servility.

"This woman - presumably a librarian - behaved more like a Lewis Carroll 'off with their heads' queen than the public servant she was," laughs Verity, "and I'm still shaking from the shock she gave me."

"I visited the library to pick up some books for the subject my daughter was studying," explains Verity, "and when I had found what I wanted I was heading for the counter to check out the books when this large and very irate middle-aged lady descended upon me."

"She must have been hiding around the corner watching me," says Verity, "as she knew exactly what books I had taken out."

"She grabbed the books from me and said I can't take them all -- I must choose one and leave the others."

"As I was only taking out three books -- and I believe the limit was seven -- I queried her right to dictate to me," says Verity, "and then she went berserk."

"She claimed that if I took out the only three books on the subject other library patrons would be deprived."

"I then queried why the books were on the shelf -- rather than in some restricted area -- if they were so rare," adds Verity, "at which the woman then threw one of the books at me and stomped off with the other two."

"I was absolutely stunned," sighs Verity. "I thought about demanding to see the chief librarian but then decided against it on the basis that the woman may have been the chief librarian for all I knew, or her best friend!"

"I just walked out and visited another public library where I didn't have any trouble at all picking up the books I wanted."

I have no idea why that woman behaved so crazily," muses Verity. "Either she was itching to exert some authority and I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, or she didn't want people borrowing her precious books, or she was just menopausal (which is a scary thought because I'm coming up to that age soon)."

"Anyway, the incident served to remind me of the many crazy stories that come to light about citizens trying to get the 'service' their hard-earned tax dollars pay for from these so-called servants of the public," says Verity.

"I've only a few bad experiences myself," admits Verity, "but the generally accepted view is that public servants are a law unto themselves and you can't beat City Hall."

"When you compare the excellent service we get from private companies -- eager to get our business and keep it -- with the so-so service we get from public authorities I get to wonder why we don't get rid of all government departments and let the private companies take over running the country."

"They can start off by privatizing a non-essential public service like the libraries!"

"I only visit public libraries irregularly -- when my daughter needs some special book that's not at her school library -- and my husband doesn't ever visit a library." says Verity, "When you consider that the whole notion of free public libraries is a 19th century thing it makes sense to privatize them and let users pay for them directly rather than everyone paying for them indirectly via taxation and levies."

"If I were guaranteed excellent service every time I visited a library -- as well as access to the most recently published books," says Verity, "then I sure wouldn't mind paying a couple of dollars to borrow books -- it would still be cheaper than buying them."

"The privatization of public services would effectively get rid of the lousy public servants," adds Verity. "Only those who truly believed in giving good service and treating patrons with respect would survive in their jobs."

"The old saying 'you can't beat City Hall' would die the horrible death it deserves," laughs Verity. "The Mafia type mentality that closes ranks against any complaint from a citizen would get run out of town."

"Privatization encourages competition between companies providing the same service -- and competition encourages excellent service to patrons. They'll be bending over backwards to give satisfaction and resolve complaints."

"When the real workers -- those who aren't public servants -- put in a hard day's work for a private company that has the very reasonable right to sack them if they're not performing satisfactorily," says Verity, "it makes me puke to think that my tax dollars go towards paying the salary -- and perks -- of a public servant like that librarian who can't be sacked no matter how rude she is to the public she has sworn to serve."

"I say cut taxes, privatize all but essential public services and put 'public servants' on a tenure similar to that of our politicians," laughs Verity. "Make them work for their living -- with a smile -- like real workers do!"


"And please God make my menopause nice!"


Labels: , ,


Copyright 2006-2014 all rights reserved Female Health Matters