female health matters

Personal stories about female health matters.

November 22, 2012

menopausal moves

Sonia, 56, has had a bad trot since her children left home and she started going through the menopause. She’s now facing the unhappy prospect of being forced to sell the family home before she is emotionally ready to let go and start a new life.

"I do temporary work," explains Sonia, "and this year I’ve been spending more time unemployed than employed and my bills are mounting up."

"I’m 56," she sighs, "and maybe it’s time to put myself out to pasture, but I did plan on having the house to live in for a while longer. I’m very upset about being forced to sell my house just because there’s no work around, I can’t pay my bills and emotionally I just can’t cope any more."

"Debtors aren't always spendthrifts," sighs Sonia. "Some are just hardworking people living simple lives who've fallen on bad luck."

“My children had been contributing towards the upkeep of the home, and now that they have left home I really miss their financial assistance and emotional support.”

"Even with the children’s contributions," explains Sonia, "something like illness or lack of work would have severely affected my ability to keep up payments on the family home. So, it’s something I should have thought about a long time ago."

“Being forced to sell any home is a traumatic experience for anyone,” says Sonia, “but on top of my children leaving home and then going through the menopause I am in no emotional state to suffer another trauma so quickly.”

"I’m in a mess right now," sighs Sonia. "I can see that I can’t afford to stay here and I must sell the house, but I just don’t want to. Not now."

“I am not sleeping very well, my mind is fuddled, I’m putting on weight and I’m a stressed mess.”

“Ideally, when I decide to sell up and start a new life it will be in my own sweet time,” says Sonia. “It could be anything from a year to five years down the track, and when you move it is a move you are emotionally ready for and feel excited about because you are moving towards something that is right for you.”

“Being forced by financial circumstances to sell my empty nest while I am still attached to it, and getting on my feet after my children have left, you don't have that glowing feeling that you are moving towards anything worthwhile.”

"What’s upsetting me more," explains Sonia "is that I cannot afford to buy a cheaper home after I sell up my empty nest. I’m really filled with worry about where I will live."

“Obviously, though, when I sell the empty nest one of my greatest worries will have lifted from my shoulders. I will no longer be in debt. My financial problems will have disappeared, and that’s one big plus to look forward to.”

"I’m not religious," says Sonia, "but I do believe in a higher being and I’m praying that I’ll be taken care of - somehow."

“If I can focus on that one big plus and let everything else sort itself out, it will – hopefully.”

Read more of Sonia's story:

  • i don't want to sell my house



  • Copyright 2006-2014 all rights reserved Female Health Matters