female health matters

Personal stories about female health matters.

November 16, 2012

the romance of the pyramids


A recent story about British woman Jane Felix-Browne, 51, marrying the fourth eldest son of Osama bin Laden after meeting him while riding a horse near the Great Pyramid in Egypt brought back mixed memories of that horse ride for Merry - and some wistful thinking about the possibility of some  menopausal romance for her, too!

"No, I didn't meet the handsome son of any rich Arab on my horse ride around the Great Pyramid many years ago," laughs Merry, "but perhaps I wasn't old enough to attract such a guy - or perhaps my boyfriend put them off!"


"Ms Jane is definitely an attractive 51-year-old grandmother," says Merry, "and so am I, so perhaps there is hope for me yet, though  I can't imagine what young Omar bin Laden found attractive about any lady on those mangy old horses that trek around the Pyramids."

"From the old pictures I have of myself on one of those horses -- taken by my ex-boyfriend -- they are hardly Arabian stallions and I sure don't look too glamorous on it," laughs Merry, "but at least it was better doing a pony trot around the pyramids than walking the distance."

"Actually, the horse ride was something I had completely forgotten," says Merry. "Why would you remember a mundane thing like that when you have magnificent memories of actually climbing into the pyramid and being in secret chambers where ancient Egyptian kings once set foot?"

"And what about the amazing Sphinx right next to the pyramids?"

"The whole of Egypt is an incredibly fascinating place -- so steeped in ancient history that you cannot fail to fall in love with it and, as Ms Jane discovered, the people, too. Romantic is a word that barely explains its magic."

"I've been there twice already and would love to go again and see all the places I missed," says Merry,"but when a friend of mine went there on her honeymoon and their tourist bus got shot at by terrorists you think twice about taking such a risk."

"The first time I visited Egypt I was with my older sister on an educational trip and we spent most of our time at the bazaars buying Ali-Baba sandals with turned up soles and musky fragrances," recalls Merry. "We also spent a few days at the Cairo museum, checking out King Tut and the most fabulous treasures you can ever imagine."

"Actually, come to think of it, I did have a Ms Jane experience when I first visited Egypt as a young girl but I was in a Cairo bazaar, not on a mangy old hack horse."

"My sister was engrossed haggling with a trader and I wandered off to the next stall where I was accosted by an elderly man wanting me to marry his son."

"I'd heard stories about white slavers and wondered whether he was going to kidnap me and put me in some harem," laughs Merry, "but he was very polite, not at all threatening, and was absolutely genuine and honorable in making the marriage proposal for his son."

"Had the son been present and a real hunk I may have considered the proposal -- no, not really, only joking," laughs Merry, 'but in view of Ms Jane's experience I wonder how common this marrying thing is between Arab men and older white women tourists?"

"The second time I visited Egypt I was with my boyfriend -- a real Adonis -- and he never let me out of his sight so I didn't have another Ms Jane experience," says Merry, "and considering how that relationship worked out I sometimes wish I had been on my own."

"We did the pyramids and a romantic cruise down the River Nile but never had time to see the Valley of the Kings and the tombs," says Merry. "I definitely want to see all Egypt has to offer, and I do hope all the middle-eastern troubles die down soon so that I can make a trip there on my own."

"No, I don't want to meet another one of Osama's sons and be proposed to," laughs Merry, "but it would make an interesting chapter in my life if I were to gain the attention of a very important young Arab who had the time and money to show me the entire country and places no tourist ever sees."

"And, who knows, under the romantic influence of the pyramids anything is possible, even for a menopausal old dame like myself!"



Copyright 2006-2014 all rights reserved Female Health Matters