female health matters

Personal stories about female health matters.

November 22, 2006

morning after pills

Denise is single, 47 and a dedicated career woman who has sex so infrequently - and opportunistically - that she prefers to rely on the morning after pill than any other form of contraception.

"Let's face it," laughs Denise, "when you're 48 and an opportunity for a hot night with a handsome guy comes your way you're not going to want to spoil the moment with 'things' are you?"

"Even when a guy carries condoms - and uses them," says Denise, "I play safe and take the morning after pill."

"The last thing I need to happen to me at my age is a pregnancy," says Denise, "and while others may say that casual sex carries a lot more risks than pregnancy I disagree with them."

"I believe I have more chance of getting pregnant from a casual sexual encounter with a guy than I do getting an STD."

"I say this because the guys I am most likely to have casual sex with are married men who are unlikely to be riddled with diseases."

"They are out of town salesmen attending conventions and the first thing they want to show me is pictures of their wives and kids," laughs Denise. "They want a bit of fun while they are away from home - but they don't want to risk going with a prostitute. They feel as safe with me as I feel with them as far as STDs are concerned."

"Pregnancy is a different issue - and that's the one that concerns me. Yes, even at my age!"

"When I was younger and more sexually active I took the pill," says Denise. "But it's a bit silly at my age - when I may only have sex twice a year - to be popping a contraceptive pill every day."

"For the same reason, carrying around a cap or a tube of spermicide in my handbag is a bit over the top, too."

"The morning after pill is the very best sort of protection for me because I am in total control of my body."

"I think it is also guarantees a better result than any other mode of contraception."

"I have never trusted condoms and I think any women who relies on a man to protect her from pregnancy needs her head read."

"Sure, taking the morning after pill has some unpleasant side-effects," says Denise, "but at my age I am already putting up with hormone swings and irregular periods so what's new?"

"I'd rather have a hot night with a guy, be blooming the next day and go through a bit of discomfort for a few days after taking the pill miss out on that experience altogether."

"When you have sex irregularly - and opportunistically - like I do," laughs Denise, "you get to really enjoy the experience. And I mean really enjoy it!"

"I have a feeling, too, that being aware of the risk I am taking - in terms of an unwanted pregnancy - heightens the sexual experience."

"I certainly didn't enjoy sex on the 'pill' as much as I enjoy it now," says Denise, "but then I was having a lot more of it - and when you're having a lot of something it does tend to lose its magic, doesn't it?"

"The daily pill was definitely an improvement on what women had to put up with before," says Denise, "but I hated taking that pill every day and for women who are having sex, say once a week, I'd thoroughly recommend using the morning after pill as an alternative."

Labels: , , , , , ,


Copyright 2006-2014 all rights reserved Female Health Matters