female health matters

Personal stories about female health matters.

July 29, 2010

trip induced breathing problems


Dallas’ first overseas trip – and first time on a plane – was with her friend Claudette and her French parents, traveling home for a holiday, and it was marred from day one by breathing problems, something she had never experienced before.

"I didn't like being on a plane - it was the worst part of the trip," shudders Dallas. "I felt like I was suffocating, but I didn't dare say anything or use the oxygen mask because I didn't want to appear an idiot."

"I'd never had this sort of trouble before - no hay fever, no asthma, no breathing difficulties," says Dallas, "and I tried my best to ignore the symptoms because I didn't want to spoil the trip."

"Just about the best part of the trip – something that I really enjoyed – was participating in a flower festival because we don't have things like that back home," says Dallas. "But just as well we don’t have crazy flower throwing back home because I'd be ill all the time!"

"That night, after spending all day throwing flowers around, I had real trouble breathing and Claudette's parents said it must be the flowers – and got me some hay fever medication at the markets – but my chest still felt tight like a drum."

"Now that I’m home, my asthma is controllable and I’m trying to accept what my doctor told me – that it’s more psychological than physical," says Dallas, "but I won't be flying or going anywhere near flowers again."

Read more about Dallas:


  • Paris, full of foreigners!
  • a sensible taurus girl
  • my french friend




  • Labels: , , , ,


    Copyright 2006-2014 all rights reserved Female Health Matters