female health matters

Personal stories about female health matters.

June 21, 2010

health problems of welfare moms

Amanda refused to have an abortion when she fell pregnant at the age of 16, and opted instead to become a welfare mom – trapped in a never ending cycle of poverty and casual jobs, giving all of her energy to raising her daughter.

"I've developed a lot of problems with my teeth and gums since having my baby," sighs Amanda, "and because I can't afford proper dental care I'll probably lose all of my teeth by the time I'm thirty.”

“It's nothing to do with hygiene - I'm fussy about brushing - and it's nothing to do with diet, either, because I don't eat junk,” says Amanda. “It's just constant stress and worries about work and debt that's robbing my body of the nutrients it needs."

“Even if I could afford to visit oral professionals I doubt whether it would help me,” explains Amanda. “You can’t buy a stress-free life, can you?”

“It’s dealing with stress that’s my main problem,” explains Amanda. “If I had a regular job with decent pay, and had no debts, I would be so much happier and healthier and would be able to raise my daughter in a nicer place than the one we have now.”

“More than anything else I need to be a strong healthy mom for my daughter,” says Amanda, “and I just wish the community could do more to make life for single moms less stressful – fast tracking us into regular jobs would be good, but with so many other people out of work these days, I guess we don’t count.”

Read more about Amanda’s story:



  • bleak future on welfare
  • a wasted education?
  • burdens and blessings
  • a child raising a child
  • I didn't know I was pregnant!
  • Cancerians, motherly types?
  • abortion or welfare?




  • Labels: , , , , , , ,


    Copyright 2006-2014 all rights reserved Female Health Matters