female health matters

Personal stories about female health matters.

June 25, 2010

deaf and dizzy invalid

Mary’s ear infection was misdiagnosed and she was given painkillers rather than antibiotics, and as a result her eardrum perforated and required an operation to patch it – but permanent damage had already been done.

“The operation – my very first one, and I hope the last – was successful,” says Mary. “The surgeon took a graft of skin from behind my ear to make the patch, and after a period of having ‘packing’ in my ear the eardrum healed and I was given the all clear.”

“Unfortunately, though, the distressing symptoms of hearing loss, tinnitus (ringing in the ear) and dizziness that had developed before I was properly diagnosed did not abate,” says Mary. “I was cleared for a Meniere's condition, and was told that my hearing had been permanently damaged, there’s no cure for tinnitus and I would just have to adjust to living with these disabilities.”

“For the first time in my life, something that had ‘happened' to me was ‘unfixable’ and I couldn’t believe it,” says Mary. ”I had often and repeatedly risked my health by working late, not eating, not sleeping, and drinking to excess, yet I had always landed butter side up.”

“Never once had any of the lifestyle risks I had taken caused me lasting harm,” says Mary, “and this time it was different because the damage wasn’t my fault – I had been misdiagnosed – and I couldn’t believe that there was no magic bullet or procedure that would fix me up.”

“For three months after the operation I held onto hope - no, not hope, just an arrogant belief in my immortality -- that I would soon bounce back to life with a vengeance, none the worse for the ordeal I had been through,” says Mary. “I refused to accept that I was now a disabled deaf and dizzy invalid listening to non-stop screeching in my head, but finally I was forced to adapt.”

“It’s amazing what you can put up with when there’s no alternative.”

Read more of Mary’s story:

  • listen to your body
  • body language
  • get a regular doctor!
  • listen to your husband!




  • Labels: , , , , , , , ,


    Copyright 2006-2014 all rights reserved Female Health Matters